COT7007X - Designing Online Learning Environments
In the eight course of the Certificate in Online Teaching, Designing Online Learning Environments, you will learn how to design online learning environments that drive engagement, interest, student centered learning and online activity. Uncover ways to leverage hybrid spaces, use multimedia, and structure courses to meet objectives.
The following questions will be addressed in this course. Please keep these questions in mind as you proceed.
- Who is my learning audience?
- How will the learning content look to them?
- Why will they engage in the content?
- How authentic is content delivery?
- Do my learners know just enough to work independently, given the multi-modal environment?
- How can I build in learner milestones and check-ins?
The process of creating multi-modal content is one of adaptation rather than transference or copying over content . Content you have taught in a traditional classroom is best reimagined based on the affordances and constraints of online learning environments. Basic pedagogical principles hold true, but the new modality requires a new perspective on content delivery.
Learn how to:
- Customize online learning tools to meet instructional needs
- Achieve balance between student autonomy and teacher participation
- Facilitate live synchronous sessions
- Build project based assignments
By the end of this course students will be able to:
- Use the basic terminology of online learning
- Analyze traditional practices for adaptation into multimodal learning spaces
- Interpret online learning from the perspective of the student learner
- Evaluate affordances & constraints of new educational technology for best fit
There are no prerequisites.
This is a self-paced course comprising 4 units of content and activities linked in the left navigation.
- This course will take approximately 10 hours of concentrated time on task to complete and it is recommended you complete a course each week during your program.
- It is recommended you complete the units in the order presented for the best learning experience. The course will be available to you for 6 months from your date of enrollment.
Estimated Time of Completion
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Online Teaching : Certificate in Online Teaching