Peace Officer Standards Training – Approved Course
Organizational wellness can best be described as infusing officer wellness services, programs, and ideology into the basic culture of police stations, affiliates, and the wider law enforcement departments and organizations. Inspiring wellness into every aspect of a group’s culture is imperative to reduce stress, build resilience, create work-life balance, and keep law enforcement professionals safe. Cultivating a culture of health and wellness in law enforcement helps law enforcement professionals better serve the community, improving community and law enforcement outcomes.
Caring for the Caretakers: Organizational Wellness for Law Enforcement program will discuss, teach, and help managers and law enforcement professionals learn how to create an environment and culture in which employee wellness is central to all aspects of the organization. Organizational wellness goes beyond the commitment to a wellness plan and is most evident when the organization consistently enforces the implementation of the plan for all members. Many factors that compromise the safety of law enforcement professionals’ judgment and decision-making develop from how they manage stress and the impact of trauma in their personal and professional lives.
Working in law enforcement is honorable, noble work, that is facing challenging times, contributing to increased stress and reduced officer wellness. Wellness goes beyond physical fitness and wellness plans to focus on whole-person wellness to embody body, mind, and spirit. This program will provide a framework to establish best practices and build organizational wellness, including:
- Organizational culture of wellness
- Trauma-informed care
- Barriers and consequences when wellness is not prioritized
- Impact of cumulative stress and trauma
- Leadership and structural barriers to organizational wellness
- Coping and resiliency from the academy to retirement
- Establishing an organizational wellness program
This program provides practical best practice topics focused on building and enhancing law enforcement agency organizational wellness. Add tools to your toolbox that support a systematic approach to organizational wellness that can help you navigate the myriad challenges and stresses faced by law enforcement today. Through this unique program, law enforcement professionals will learn ways to build and enhance wellness individually and for your organization.
The program is designed to be nine hours in total time. Six hours are self-paced, asynchronous, which you can take on your time, on your schedule. Three hours are an online, live, synchronous sessions that will be scheduled to allow you to interact with peers across the state of California or within your community at two different points in the program.
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Learn the Culture of Wellness for Law Enforcement
- Identify Toxic, Cumulative Effects of Stress and Trauma for Law Enforcement
- Learn the Barriers to Organizational Wellness for Law Enforcement
- Learn how to deal with Changes & how to move forward
- Learn the techniques of coping and resilience for Law Enforcement
- Establish Organizational Wellness Programs for Law Enforcement
- Implement and sustain Organizational Wellness Unit for Law Enforcement
- Identify Effective Means of Implementing Organizational Wellness Groups
The program is relevant for all individuals working in law enforcement, including sworn officers and civilian professionals. Enrollment is limited currently to those in the state of California only.
This course is available to everyone working in law enforcement, both sworn and non-sworn. You are required to have a CA POST ID. If you don’t have one, use this link to get one, before registering for the course: