Poetry has existed across cultures for thousands of years. We consume poetry in music, in plays, and in numerous different forms and styles. Many people enjoy reading and writing poetry, but analyzing poetry and improving your poetic vocabulary will help you write more effectively and better engage with the poetry you read.
After completing this course, the learner should be able to:
- Distinguish between formal verse and free verse and recognize the various genres and types of poetry
- Identify the components of a poem, including lines and stanzas
- Hear a poem's rhythm and formally investigate its meter using scansion
- Use and identify various rhyme schemes
- Recognize and apply different poetic devices, including metaphor and alliteration
- Write your own poetry with confidence, starting with the various writing opportunities and prompts in the course
- Badge and credit-awarding
- Games & Flashcards
- Video content
- Audio-enabled in app
You may request a refund up to 5 days from the purchase date. The registration fee will only be refunded if less than 10% of the course has been completed. Completion percentage can be viewed on the Course Progress page from within the course.
This course has an "Ask the Expert" feature, which submits your questions directly to an expert in the field you are studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible and usually within 24 hours.
This course does not require any additional purchases of supplementary materials.
Learners must achieve an average test score of at least 70% to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEUs.