Storytelling and the use of narrative case studies can be a highly effective way to teach. Often, we learn best by doing, and in the context of online learning, "doing" often means utilizing case study and role-playing methods. This course introduces the major techniques and strategies for integrating narrative learning into an educational curriculum. It presents different types of narrative learning and identifies the best means to utilize each. Finally, it explores the efficacy of narrative learning and how it can be applied to online design and instruction.
This course was developed by MindEdge's National Institute of Online Learning (NIOL), which was founded in 2012 with the goal to improve the quality and effectiveness of online learning, especially for adult learners, by promoting best practices and innovation in the field.
- Define narrative learning and summarize its core principles
- Identify various types of narrative activities and compare their applications
- Outline the stages of the narrative arc, specifying the purpose of each stage in terms of a story and a narrative activity
- Discuss best practices for narrative learning
- Design a scenario, case study, and simulation
- Interpret the literature surrounding the efficacy of narrative learning
- Critique poorly constructed narrative activities
- Badge and credit-awarding
- Games & Flashcards
- Video content
- Real-world case studies
- Audio-enabled in app
You may request a refund up to 5 days from the purchase date. The registration fee will only be refunded if less than 10% of the course has been completed. Completion percentage can be viewed on the Course Progress page from within the course.
This course has an "Ask the Expert" feature, which submits your questions directly to an expert in the field you are studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible and usually within 24 hours.
This course does not require any additional purchases of supplementary materials.
Learners must achieve an average test score of at least 70% to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEUs. Learners will have three attempts at all graded assessments.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Online Learning : Certificate in Online Learning