This course will introduce the student to the fundamentals of medical terminology. Focus on prefixes, suffixes and roots associations for medical terms will be presented. The student will also be introduced to the terminology of human body functions, organs and diseases associated with specific body tissues, organs and systems. HIPAA and PHI will be presented to gain an understanding of patients’ medical information privacy guidelines.
- Be able to define the fundamental medical terms and word formations using prefixes, suffixes, and root components of medical terms
- Identify fundamental medical abbreviations and meanings
- Identify common medical terms used in medical coding
- Identify common terms for medical settings, medications, specialties and
- Be able to identify common medical procedures, exams, treatments, and practices
- Be able to describe HIPAA requirements as they pertain to Patient Health Information and Electronic Health Information
There are no prerequisites.
Textbook required for this online course. Reading assignments will be required for this course. Textbook: A Short Course in Medical Terminology, 4th ed., Nath, Judi L., Wolters Kluwer
ISBN#9781496351470 (Paperback) Approximate cost: $ 37.00 to $58.00
*Students are responsible for purchasing the course text.
Estimated Time of Completion
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Professional Certificate in Medical Coding : Professional Certificate in Medical Coding